An interesting discussion is going on among professionals on LinkedIn – “Is Twitter replacing text messaging?”
Different arguments and ideas are discussed, but the majority of votes are cast in favor of separating the two tools (or paradigms if you will) – even in the times of Social Media revolution, where Twitter plays a vital role, SMS is still here to stay and stay for a good reason.
Below are some of the brilliant ideas in defense of SMS:
- Twitter users still quite often see the “fail whale” error message meaning there’s no way to connect at that time. Stability and uptime issues.
- Twitter requires sufficient Internet coverage.
- Almost unbelievable but even now many people have no idea about Twitter.
- Others just don’t see the reason to tweet because they have Facebook.
- In some corporate networks and intranets Twitter is blocked.
- It’s not even clear that Twitter will be a long-lasting tool.
- Twitter will never be able to say that over 90% of tweets are read within 5 minutes of receipt.
- SMS doesn’t require any type of registration.
- SMS is a secure and trusted environment that is still free of much of the unsolicited and impersonal automation, spam and phishing that is already running rampant on Twitter.
What have you say about Texting vs.Twitter? We encourage you to join the discussion and share your views on LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/beSsMs
Send SMS To 200+ Countries. Instant Activation!