Check IP Address Location
Identify ISP, coordinates, IP address location and ZIP code with the IP geolocation tool.
How to Use the IP Geolocation Tool
Using the IP address of an Internet user, you can extract information about the country and state they’re in. The process of pairing a geographical location with an IP address is called geolocation.
- Step #1: Copy and paste the IP address that you wish to check in to the empty box.
- Step #2: Click on the “Geolocate” button to discover the IP address location.
- Step #3: The Geolocation Tool will give you useful information, including the location’s coordinates that you can explore on the map. Simply zoom in on the map to view the approximate location.
Why you should use the geolocation tool
There are several situations in which you may need to identify an IP address’s geolocation. For example, if you are operating an eCommerce site, or you are providing a service online, you might want to know where your customers are from to display different languages or pre-populate the country code on forms.
In addition to this, IP address geolocation can be used to fight hackers and spammers by quickly identifying the source of the problem. Lastly, the IP address locator tool can be used to geolocate IP addresses and thus reduce fraud.
Why we created this tool
We created this non-intrusive, free IP address locator to make it easier for you to collect vital information regarding a visitor’s geographical location (country, region, city and latitude/longitude), time zone and ISP.
Benefits of using the geolocation tool
Arguably the most valuable benefit of IP location is the possibility to offer a location-based service. By collecting information about a user’s whereabouts, companies can generate extremely targeted marketing strategies that will entice customers. Here are a few other benefits of IP address lookup location:
- Enforce digital content and territory rights. IP address location data can also be used to enforce distribution rights.
- Prevent credit card and check fraud. Enable geolocation to compare the location of a shopper’s IP address to that of their credit card or shipping address. If there is a mismatch between the two, you can look into it manually to reduce the risk of fraud.
- Checkout optimization and shipping/tax estimators. Geolocation data can be used to pre-populate checkout fields, such as country, state, city etc. IP geolocation can also be used to automatically offer information about prices or shipping costs.
- Improve your multi-channel marketing strategy. If you’re promoting your business on multiple channels (e.g. social media, text marketing, etc.), you can use IP geolocation to serve your customers better.
- Improve the customer experience. Information about the user’s Internet connection or location enables you to optimize your website. An IP address locator will make it easier for you to track vital data about your visitors. For example, users connected through a mobile gateway can be redirected to the mobile version of your site, while slower connections can be directed to access low-resolution graphics instead of flash banners.
How does geolocation work?
Geolocation represents the process of tracking the location of a user, or place, on a map by using information from the IP address (for desktop devices) or RFID – radio-frequency identification – (for smart-phone users). IP geolocation works similarly to GPS systems. At present, many small businesses are interested in finding the IP address location data to improve their marketing efforts.
How accurate is IP-based geolocation?
The accuracy of geolocation IP services depends on the type of database used. In general, IP-to-country data has an accuracy of 98-99%, while IP-to-region accuracy varies between 50 and 70%.
What are the best IP geolocation databases?
There are several commercially available databases that will enable you to find an IP address location; for example, MaxMind, IPligence, Tamo Soft and L2plocation are all free-based databases that can be integrated into your web application.