Send texts from a local 10DLC number
Build trust with 10DLC business texting
10DLC is one of the most trusted 2-way SMS communication channels. Registering your 10DLC brand and campaign ensures that you can send texts without the risk of being flagged or blocked by network operators. Moreover, your customers can trust the text messages they receive from you.
You should choose a 10DLC number for texting if:
- You wish to send and receive texts from a local U.S. virtual number.
- Your organization has a tax ID (EIN).
- Your use-case falls into one of the categories of 10DLC campaigns
- Your recipients value localized communication.
- You wish your brand to have a local identity.
- You want to ensure message delivery by whitelisting SMS traffic with U.S. mobile network operators.
How to get started with 10DLC
Buy Textmagic credit
Choose your local virtual number
Register your brand
Register your SMS campaign
What information is required for a 10DLC registration?
When filling out the 10DLC registration form, you must provide the following information:
- Organization name, address, and contact details
- Organization type (private, publicly traded, nonprofit)
- Tax ID or EIN
- Public website address
- Description of each SMS campaign
- Sample text messages for each campaign
- Description of the opt-in, opt-out, and help flows
Prohibited 10DLC use cases
Furthermore, the table below outlines the forbidden use cases for 10DLC.
10DLC texting FAQ
Haven’t found what you were looking for? Contact us now
What is 10DLC, and why do I need to register?
10DLC (10-digit long code) is a new industry-wide text messaging solution for businesses that send text messages to customers in the United States from a local virtual number. Once your brand and campaign have been approved, using a 10DLC number will ensure that your text messages are delivered to the intended recipients.
10DLC registration is mandatory for all businesses that send text messages to customers in the United States. If you do not register for 10DLC, your text messages will be blocked by spam filters and will not be delivered to your customers’ phones.
Furthermore, U.S. telecom carriers may issue you a fine or penalty if you send non-compliant SMS traffic.
How long does it take to get started with 10DLC?
After submitting your 10DLC registration using the Textmagic self-service web app, the Textmagic team will review the form and forward it to the Campaign Registry for approval within one business day.
It then takes approximately 3 business days to complete brand vetting and up to 5 weeks for your campaign to be verified. The Textmagic team cannot expedite this time frame because the approval process is handled by the Campaign Registry.
Will I be notified of the status of my 10DLC application?
Our team will send you an email as soon as there is news about the status of your 10DLC application. In the meantime, please check the 10DLC overview page for status updates.
What are the costs for 10DLC registration?
When you register for a 10DLC, there are both one-time and quarterly costs. After completing the registration form, these costs will be deducted from your Textmagic account balance. The fees are implied by the Campaign Registry, not by Textmagic.
- Brand registration + vetting: $50 (one-time fee)
- Campaign registration: $35 per quarter
- Number cost: $10 per month
What types of 10DLC campaigns can I register with Textmagic?
Currently, Textmagic supports the following standard campaign types for a 10DLC registration:
- 2FA: Any authentication, verification, or one-time passcode.
- Account notifications: Standard notifications to account holders relating to or being about an account.
- Customer care: All customer interactions, including account management and support.
- Delivery notifications: Notifications about the delivery status of a product or service.
- Fraud alert messaging: Notifications about potential fraudulent activity on a user’s account.
- Higher education: Message campaigns for colleges, universities, and other educational institutions.
- Marketing: Any communication that includes marketing or promotional content.
- Mixed: Any messaging containing 2-5 standard use cases.
- Polling and voting: Sending surveys and polling or voting campaigns for non-political arenas.
- Public service announcements: Messages raising awareness about important matters.
- Security alert: Notifications that a security system, either software or hardware, has been compromised and that action must be taken.
What is the difference between 10DLC and toll-free numbers?
Here are the key differences between a 10DLC and a toll-free number:
10-digit local U.S. numbers are approved by the mobile network operators for sending texts.
8XX prefix numbers for the U.S. and Canada are verified by the messaging aggregator for sending texts.
What happens if I don't register for 10DLC?
The industry is moving to 100% registered messaging traffic to fight spam and fraud. Registration is mandatory. It cannot be skipped. Non-compliance will lead to blocked traffic, significant fines, and a loss of service.
U.S. carriers, the Campaign Registry, and Textmagic can suspend or block any SMS campaigns that do not comply with the 10DLC regulations. No refunds are issued if a brand or campaign is blocked.
Can I transfer my existing 10DLC registration to Textmagic?
Unfortunately, that is not possible. Textmagic does not support transfers of 10DLC registrations from other suppliers.