How Text Messaging Can Help Grow Your Sports Team
Text messaging hasn’t always been regarded as a marketing tool. Initially it was designed as a communication medium. But as society has been so eager to adopt mobile technology, many industries have adopted SMS solutions for their marketing campaigns.
The leisure and entertainment industries were among the first to adopt SMS marketing. In the last couple of years more and more sports teams have gravitated towards text messaging. Sports organizations and leagues can greatly benefit from incorporating SMS into their marketing plans.
One of the first sports teams to adopt SMS solutions was the Phoenix Suns, back in 2011. With the help of two-way text messaging, the team was able to draw in more fans and expand its database. But this isn’t the only use of SMS for sports teams. There are a variety of ways to get fans involved through text-messaging solutions, including giveaways, contests, sharing helpful sports scores etc.
How Can Sports Enthusiasts Use the TextMagic SMS Platform?
It’s easy to succumb to the hype of smartphone apps, but what if we told you that there is a more effective way of utilizing mobile communication for your sports team?
- Increase your fan-base. Arguably the most important use of SMS marketing is to increase brand awareness. You can automatically send alerts to your fans using TextMagic’s web-based tool. Be warned: before you start blasting texts your fans need to opt in to your subscriber list.
- Organize SMS contests. Everybody loves freebies. Sports’ fans are no exception. You can encourage more fans to opt in to your mobile subscriber list by holding SMS contests with thematic prizes. Also, make sure you advertise your list through traditional advertising channels for maximum visibility.
- Send live scores via SMS. Use the TextMagic Bulk SMS software to automatically send SMS blasts to thousands of fans with live scores and match highlights.
- Announce schedule changes and weather alerts. When it comes to sports, anything can happen (e.g. bad weather can lead to schedule changes). With TextMagic’s SMS solution, you can notify subscribers of changes and cancellations in a matter of minutes!
- Promote special events. Promoting events by SMS is fast and easy. SMS can be used to send information to attendees. SMS also has incredible operational value. You can use it to communicate with vendors and organizers.
- Team Chat. Last minute changes? Unexpected cancellations? There’s no need to waste precious hours of your life calling every team member. Simply log in to your TextMagic and send an SMS blast to your team. Make your life easier by segmenting contacts into lists.
Key Benefits for Your Sports Team
Sports teams like the Chicago Bulls keep fans updated on the latest stats and scores via SMS. Here are the main benefits of sports-related SMS marketing:
- Reduce advertising costs. Compared to digital or traditional marketing, sports SMS solutions are very cheap. In an industry where every penny counts, SMS services are game-changers. Apart from the initial flyers and traditional media that you will need to start your subscriber list, you will only have to pay the costs of the texts.
- Increase customer loyalty. Keeping customers engaged at all times with a constant stream of useful information, promotions and contests, will increase their loyalty and raise brand awareness.
- Reach all fans instantly. Over 90 per cent of US and UK citizens own a cell phone (around 60 per cent own a smartphone). Because text messaging doesn’t require special software, you will be able to reach fans instantly.
- Incredible response rates. Mobile users check their phones an average of 150 times a day. That’s 150 chances of reaching them every day. SMS has the highest response rate among all marketing channels.
- Streamline internal organization. Automated sports text alerts and reminders can be sent to team members. Keep staff members informed about upcoming events and matches with the TextMagic platform.
- Promote your team globally. SMS marketing isn’t limited to one country. You can promote your sports team through SMS to a global fan base. A simple, straightforward message with a call-to-action will encourage fans to opt into your service.
Effective Sport-related SMS Templates
Are you ready to experiment with sports text message marketing? Below are a few useful templates:
- Score Update
- Game Announcement
- Schedule Delay
- Team Chat
- Shortcode Deals
- Appointment Reminder
The score is now 2-1 to Manchester United. Ibrahimovic scored a beautiful goal in minute 67. Stay tuned for more updates or check out the live score on bit.ly/live-score.
Who will win the Ballon d’Or this year?
Submit your vote by replying to this message and get the chance to win a made-up prize. The winner will be announced on 12/4/2017.
Manchester United will face *team name* on Friday at Old Trafford. Don’t forget to show your support for the family on the grass!
Tomorrow’s training has been postponed for Friday, 18:00 p.m. The coach is sick and will be replaced by *name*.
We really value your support. We want to reward you with a 50% discount on your next ticket to a *team-name* game. Use this code *code* to redeem your prize.
New team shirts in stock at discounted prices. Reply with BEST DEALS to this number for more info. Support Manchester United.
Want to win an exclusive shirt signed by Ibrahimovic? Reply to this text with YES to enter the draw. Winners will be announced on 12/5/2017 on bit.ly/contest.
Hey *name*. You have a training session scheduled for 7/4/2017 at 16:30 p.m. at *address*. Kindly reply to this message to let us know if you can make it.
For more templates, please check out our 42 Ready-to-Use Text Message Templates for Business
Are you ready to kickstart your sports SMS marketing campaign? We’re here to help!